I am so excited as I finally got OneWheel+ XR.
Big thanks to Wayne from JetboardLimited for delivering it so fast just in 3 days!
Disclaimer – I am NOT a fan of electric skateboards or any skateboards in general. The vibration those small wheels gives to my legs is unbearable and no fun for me at all. I tried it once and I hated it. I still have my old electric skateboard but I never use it, even on the asphalt the vibration is a pain.
Probably they are made for skate-parks with super smooth surface but I got none and I’m too old for this anyways.
When I first heard of OneWheel i was pretty sceptical, it looked like it would be too hard to learn.
However when I learned that it is self-balancing board (like Segway or Hoverboards) I decided to give it a try and it did not disappoint me!
Quality: Very high. It is made in California and everything about it screams quality – from the packaging to the sturdy material and high-end APP. It’s amazing how they pack so much technology in the board so small in size and weight (just 12 kg)
Learning curve – very easy. Consider myself a skateboard newbie, it took me less than 5 minutes to learn it just by watching one how-to utube video. The board feels like your second nature and uses the mind control to navigate. I could not believe it would be that easy. I will make a video with my tips how to learn it faster.
a) Use a big open space, a parking lot or better smooth wet sandy beach where you can fall without hurting yourself.
b) Point with your finger where you want to go and look that direction all the time, DO NOT look down!
c) Commit some speed. Like with a bicycle going too slow is not helping you. Put some gasss!
d) Order extra things: Cover for the power plug port and power button, side handle and onewheel kush pads!
- There are no annoying remote controls. Riding hands free gives you a next level of freedom
- Very easy to learn (I did not expect it)
- High quality in everything – from materials to the app.
- Intelligent board notifies you with pushback of the low battery levels. The app will notify as well and let you set different riding profiles.
- Amazing feeling of flying, incomparable with a regular skateboards.
- Explore new horizons – go to the beach, go offroad etc! Impossible with an old school skateboards.
Impossible with a bike too (riding on the sandy beach)
- Self recharging battery when going downhill and breaking – cool feature!
- Very poor range. I don’t know what’s the standard in the industry but XR advertised range was up to 19 miles (30 km) while my first FULL Charge ride got me only 14.9km. Obviously I was using a average speed Mission profile and did not push the board to its limits. But still come on! I was just getting started when the battery was dead and I had to carry the board all the way home
- The app seems buggy and always losing the connection when I take it out of my pocket and having a hard time counting remaining range
Yeah I know coming of jetboard industry we expect a poor range for jetboards… However we get tired quickly on jetboards while on OneWheel you are just standing there, you are not getting tired and want more of it!
Riding on different surfaces, my experience:
Strong wet sandy beach. Five star riding experience on the strong wet sandy beach gives you a true feeling of fresh powder snow, really smooth riding close to flying experience!
Go to the beach on a low-tide day to get a big shore line with a wet sand.
Grass If you get a big area with well groomed grass (aka golf field) you will really enjoy riding it! It’s safe and soft, and a perfect place to learn without need for the gear. Avoid areas with tall grass, it may hide the bumps so get ready to nose dive any moment.
Bike lane. A smooth bike lane will give you a quality 4 star experience. You can do carving without worry about the stones etc.
Regular Asphalt – OK experience but despite the size of the wheel the vibration is close to annoying (at least for me). This vibration is making your legs tired quickly.
Off-road terrain Poor experience. Yes it’s possible and they advertise it hard but riding through stones and bumpy terrain is no fun, you are worried about falling, vibration is killing the legs, no fun at all. (for me) Remember you are one stone away from losing balance and crashing into bushes.
Dry sand. – Impossible to ride. Despite the size of the wheel, it just nose-dives and stops instantly if it gets stuck in the dry sand.
Slippery or icy surfaces – Avoid. The wheel has no grip to the road and I think you can loose balance and slide. Avoid rainy days or icy surfaces.
A five star product that is fun for everyone but needs more range! It’s never enough!
It has to have at least 30-40 km range not mere 14! And the PINT model has even less, what’s the point?